February 26, 2014

San Francisco To-Do List


Living in San Francisco is a dream come true. I can't believe how much there is to do and eat, so this list will continue to grow over the years. But I've put together a beginner's guide of the big things to hit up. These are the classic postcard sites that are yes, a little touristy, but for good reason. And this doesn't include any of the incredible restaurants. That's a guide all on its own!

These are in no particular order, and it's an on-going list. (Click on the YELLOW links for more info/photos.)

1. Palace of the Fine Arts: Beautiful park and architecture with a pond with swans, grassy hills, and benches to enjoy the sun.


2. Chinatown: Eat at House of Nan King, or go to the fortune cookie factory.


3. The Exploritorium: The sweetest hands-on science museum for adults and kids.


4. Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39: Do the classics like eat overpriced clam chowder, ride the carousel, visit the seals. (The Codmother is the best place for fish n' chips.)



5. Golden Gate Bridge: Park in the visitor's center lot or down by Crissy Field. You can either walk across it, or you can rent bikes.



6. Stinson Beach: An hour north of SF on Pacific Highway, it's a beautiful drive.



7. Lombard Street



8. Coit Tower: Go to the top, the view is incredible.



9. Ferry Plaza Building Farmers Market: It's supposedly the best market in the country.



10: Alamo Square: Full House, need I say more?






12. Conservatory of Flowers: Greenhouse full of exotic plants.



13. de Young Museum: A really fantastic art museum. Go to the top floor for a panoramic view of the city.



14. Golden Gate Park Music Concourse: This park reminds me a lot of the park in Paris by the Eiffel Tower.



15. Discovery Bay Museum: Pretty sweet play museum for kids.


16. Legion of Honor: Art museum with a ton of classics.


17. Watch the sailboats: Most weekends, the Bay is packed with sailboats. Walk along the beach at Crissy Field and watch them sail.



18. Baker Beach: Great views of the bridge.



19. Giants Game: Get the garlic fries. You won't regret it.



20. Trolley Ride: Take the Hyde to Powell line; it starts down at the Wharf near Ghiradelli Square, or at Union Square, but get on at the second stop to avoid the 45-min line at the end of the line.


21. Ghiradelli Square: If anything, they hand out free chocolate to everyone. But their ice cream is pretty good, too!


22. Grace Cathedral: The oldest Gothic Cathedral in the west, this is an art-lover must. Especially because it features Ghiberti's gold doors (the same ones at the Baptistry in Florence, Italy).


23. Land's End: A beautiful trail that walks along the coast, has a great view of the Golden Gate Bridge, and a cool labyrinth.


24. Pacific Highway 1: This is probably one of the prettiest drives I've been on. Start in SF and just start heading south.


25. Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk: It's 1.5 hours south, but this amusement park on the beach is worth it.


26. SF Zoo: Who doesn't love the zoo?! FREE on the first Wednesdays to SF residents.


27. Carousel at Golden Gate Park: For only $2, this old-fashion carousel is a fun ride.



28. Presidio Walking Trails: There are a bunch of trails that hug the coast and then eventually lead down to the beach. Beware, the north end is a nude beach!


29. Farms and Pumpkin Patches: All down the coast south of SF are a bunch of farms and fruit stands. If you go during the fall, Arata's is a fun pumpkin patch.


30. Point Bonita Lighthouse: Gorgeous views of the city, GG Bridge, Pacific Ocean, sunsets...


 30. Stowe Lake: Great path along the perimeter of the lake, you can rent a row boat, and feeding the ducks is fun.


31. Alcatraz


32. MOMA: (Closed until 2016)



33. Muir Woods: Just 20 min. north of SF is the most beautiful redwood forest.


34. Window shop Clement: Clement [St.] is bursting with amazing restaurants, cozy bookstores, knick knack shops, and more.


35. Twin Peaks: A great view of the city--you can drive, hike, run, or bike.


36. Sutro Baths: Ruins of an old bathhouse right on the ocean. So cool!


37. Queen Wilhelmina Tulip Garden: In Golden Gate Park is a quaint tulip garden that feels just like Holland.


38. Botanical Gardens: 55 acres in Golden Gate Park of lush mini ecosystems from around the world. FREE every day to SF residents!


39: Monterey Bay Aquarium: It's 2 hours south, but if you're making a day trip, it's totally worth it.


40: Marina Boardwalk: All the way from Chrissy Field to Fort Mason is a huge path for walking, running, biking, long boarding, and even strollerblading. It's about 2 miles and has great views of the Bridge, Bay, and yachts.


41. Sunset Sail: We found a Groupon for Bay Breeze Charters and went sailing in the Bay for $40. It was incredible.


42. Walt Disney Museum: It's just as cool for adults as it is for kids. Kind of pricey, but we went on a free day.


43. Union Square/Market Street: Very touristy, but there are some fun places to shop and eat. Hit it up if you're close, but don't necessarily go out of your way.


44. Dolores Park: This is the best park for kids, hipsters, or afternoon strollers. It has it all! Plus, it's right by Tartine, BiRite, and Delfina's Pizza--all must-eats.


45. Lyon Stairs: Looking for a good workout or great views of the Bay? The Lyon stairs (291 steps, I counted) are perfect. Lyon and Broadway St.


46. Fort Mason: This old, outdoor port has science experiments from the old Exploratorium and fun shops and cafes.


47. East Beach: This beach is great because of its calm water, great views, and sailboat watching.


48. Presidio Veteran's Cemetery: Acres of beautiful, sacred grounds.


49. Gardens at Conservatory of Flowers: The Conservatory is only free the first Tuesday of the month, but the gardens are always free and sunny with plenty of pretty flowers, usually someone playing live music, and just a wonderful ambiance. 


50. Ocean Beach Bonfire: At Ocean Beach right across the street from the restaurant Beach Chalet are about 15 fire pits that make for a great bonfire. Bring your own wood and lighter fluid.


51. Walking Tour--Hidden Public Spaces: The city offers free walking tours at SF City Guides, which I highly recommend!


52. Ferry Building Walking Tour: Another free tour through SF City Guides of the Ferry Building's history.


53. Moraga Mosaic Stairs: 163 steps of beautiful mosaics that start with images from the ocean floor and gradually end with the sun in the sky.


54. Academy of Science: This museum is a combo of an aquarium, planetarium, and natural history museum. It's pretty great. Free on certain days of the year for residents, or you can check out a free family pass at the library.


55. Book Bay Bookstore: Hands down my favorite bookstore in the city. They sell used books of all sorts, vintage books turned into art, have a great children's section with books starting at $1, and a little cafe inside the store. We come here like every other week.


56. Kayak the Bay: Start at Baker Beach or East Beach and enjoy the views!


I know I'm missing a TON. Where do you go? Leave a comment below!


24 comments:

  1. Holy cow, you've done so much! What a great list you've made. Good work! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done way more than I ever have and I'm from here. Ugh, I gotta get out more. We will definitely need to join you on your next adventure. So glad you are loving it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad to say that i've only been to one place on your list :o( I need to get out more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm headed there in April I will definitely be using your list
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. The street art in the Mission District is amazing if you haven't seen it! Coming back next month for my brother's graduation and we are gonna make a trip of it. We will definitely visit some on your list! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the idea! I've driven past some beautiful murals, but never stopped to enjoy them. Have fun on your trip!

      Delete
  6. Hi love SF we got married there, we are in the uk(manchester) and have 2 boys, if you ever fancy a vaction swop, message me xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow! If we weren't on such a tight student budget right now a vacation swap would be awesome! Maybe one day...

      Delete
  7. I stumbled across your blog while searching for any and all San Fran travel tips on Pinterest (My boyfriend and I are planning our first big trip together to celebrate our anniversary and my 29th birthday) and I have literally been obsessed for the past 2 hours. My best friend is having her first baby (girl) in 2 months and we have been hysterical looking through your pics... while we're both at work... in two separate states. Thanks so much for sharing your story, it made my day! And all I wanna know now is how were you able to affordably travel Europe, what brand are your sunglasses, and can we be best friends? haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maryn,

      Way to make my day with that comment! I'm glad my girls could entertain you and your friend--they are pretty funny in retrospect. So my biggest advice for affording Europe is to use Airbnb instead of hotels. I don't know if you've used it before, but they are so much cheaper and usually include a meal for free. We also shopped for food at grocery stores and bought all of our water there which saved us TONS of money. As for my sunglasses, they are $5 cheap-os from H&M. I keep having to twist the screws back in with my fingernails but I just can't get rid of them. And if you have any specific questions about SF, please ask! It's the greatest city ever!

      ~Ashley

      Delete
  8. Hi there! I came across your blog off Pinterest and it made me want to visit San Francisco that much more! I'm a college student that loves to see and experience new places and what better time to travel then when you're in your early twenties? San Francisco has always been on list of places to visit. I was wondering do you recommend any travel sites hotels..etc? I'm new to planning trips out.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna,

      I'm glad you found my blog! Here's what I would advise: for places to stay, use Airbnb.com. It's for sure the coolest and cheapest way to stay in the city (or any city in the world for that matter!). The cheapest ones will be in the Tenderloin District, but DO NOT stay there. It's really dangerous. Try to stay somewhere no more south than the Mission/Castro/Noe Valley or you'll be getting too far away from attractions. (Look up a San Francisco neighborhood map to see what I'm talking about.) Good luck, and feel free to ask me any more questions!
      ~Ashley

      Delete
  9. love it all! we live in the best city!!!

    xo welltraveledwife.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your blog!
    Me and my boyfriend are looking into visiting in January but I heard it’s the winter and rainy season there. Would you recommend us coming anyway, is everything open still? Also any recommendations on napa valley wine tours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading our blog! January is the designated winter season, but it's still pretty much the same weather as it is the rest of the year. Yes, it rains more, but we're in a drought and this past "winter" it rained probably three times total. January is even warmer than June/July/August. Everything is still open and I would totally recommend still coming.

      We've never done a wine tour, and actually haven't ventured up their enough for me to give you any advice. But I'm sure Google will have something good to say! Have fun on your vacation!

      Delete
  11. Yeah dear!! That’s true that San Francisco is very beautiful and famous place. People are very friendly and helpful as well as very foodie. That’s why San Francisco restaurants are very popular and famous. Food is very delicious and yummy and I think all types of food are available here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there! I stumbled across your blog because my husband and I will be in San Francisco in a few weeks for a wedding. I love your suggestions and hope to see many of them.

    I do have a random question, though. Ashley, I love the you're wearing in the Twin Peaks picture. May I ask where you got it from and what brand it is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, sorry to be away from my computer for a week otherwise I would have replied earlier. I'm glad my list helped and hope you guys have a fantastic time!

      The kimono-type shirt I'm wearing in the Twin Peaks picture is actually handmade. I bought the fabric here in SF at Fabric Outlet and used a robe pattern as a guide. I'm so sorry because I know that's not the answer you were hoping for!

      Delete
  13. Ashley- just found your blog thanks to my daughter who is a first-time mom. She apologized to me for doing the things to me that your girls have done for you ; )
    I worked on Chestnut Street when I was a young adult. I loved the city then.
    Have you been to the Pork Store Cafe in the Haight for pancakes? They are divine.
    It's so fun to see your adventures. Congrats on your books -- gifts for my grandkiddoes.
    Also- my husband's friend is Art Dugoni's son. Small world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, wow so many great things in your comment! I have apologized to my mom as well, and maybe someday will get one myself :) I've never heard of Pork Store Cafe but now I must go for pancakes! And thank you for passing my books along to your grandkids!
      ~Ashley

      Delete
  14. Complimenti per il blog! Infatti San Francisco è una città bellissima e ha tantissimi posti stupendi da visitare, vedo che ti sei divertita moltissimo con la tua famiglia! Davvero complimenti. Se ti fa piacere di dare un occhiata al mio portale http://www.efra.it mi farebbe contento che ti trovassi bene cosi come mi sono trovato io bene nel leggere il tuo blog molto attentamente.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! I just found your blog and I love it! This is a great list. I love SF so much and I can't wait to go back. I'm such a foodie though and I was wondering if you have a list of your favorite places to eat as well. Some of the restaurants that you have discovered there, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...