July 2, 2008

The Pillars of the Earth


I can honestly say this book makes my top five. I have never felt such a range of emotions while reading a book before. At times I was fiercely angry, others madly in love, and even sighed out loud in relief a few times. Because the book is so long (nearly 1,000 pages) the character development is incredible and the storyline is complex. It kind of reminds me of The Count of Monte Cristo in that there are several prominent characters, each with their own story, but they all weave together.

The story takes place in England during the 1100s and revolves around the construction of cathedral. Although there is a wealth of historical detail of the time period, and the architecture and engineering of a cathedral, I never felt like a was reading a history book. It's truly a beautiful story. And if you do start reading it, don't expect to get anything done until you finish!

To read a review of the book, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...