March 19, 2014

diy t-shirt tutorial

 I posted these pictures on Instagram and had a few friends ask how I made these two shirts. I tried to make a tutorial for the t-shirt and it's probably more confusing than helpful. Sorry I don't have a pattern. And for the jacket thing, I would just recommend buying a robe pattern and adjusting the lengths.



T-shirt (XS-S)

Materials
3/4 yard of printed fabric
2 feet solid fabric
(I recommend lycra or jersey knit. I don't have a surger and these fabrics make life easier.)

1. The trickiest part of the t-shirt is the one I can't help you with: making the actual pattern. I used a t-shirt I like and traced it onto a sheet of parchment paper. I cut it out 1/2" bigger than the trace line for my seam.

2. Cut out your print fabric using your pattern. Set it aside.


3. I was too lazy to make a whole separate pattern for this next piece, so I just used the same one and folded it over. Measuring 3" down from the lowest part of the neckline, make a crease all the way along your pattern. Cut out the shoulders, arms, and neckline, and cut 1/2" below your creased pattern (for the seam).

4. For the sleeves, cut out two pieces measuring 14"x 4".

5. For the other half of your front piece, use the same crease from the top section and cut the bottom half out with your solid fabric. Don't forget the 1/2" at the top for the seam.

Now you have 5 pieces: front top half, front bottom half, back, and two sleeves.

6. Sew a hem along each neckline. Mine look like crap because I really have no idea what I'm doing (as you are probably figuring out).

7. With right sides together, sew the two front pieces together. (Does anyone else keep thinking of Arrested Development every time I say "front piece"?)

8. With right sides together, sew JUST the shoulders of the front and back pieces together. (See where I pinned.)

9. Open it up and lie it down right-side-up.

10. Fold one sleeve piece in half lengthwise. Pin it to the sleeve opening of your shirt, making sure the sleeve is seam-side-in with the raw edges on the outside. Sew the sleeve to the shirt body. Repeat for the other side.

11. Turn the shirt inside-out with right sides together. Sew each of the sleeves and sides together, starting at the sleeve and going down. (See where I pinned.)

12. Sew a hemline along the bottom of the shirt.

That's it! Too confusing? Leave a comment with any questions, or just text me if you have my number.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...